24 Hours in Austin
I said this before but Texas is way up there as one of my favorite states to visit. It's so diverse in landscape and local culture and I always have a fun unique experience when I'm down there. We went to Dallas for our friends Carolina and Andrews wedding in October and tagged on an extra day in Austin. I hadn't been in a while and Austin's always a good time. But truth is that most of the times I was out there I was either working or there for SXSW, this was the first time I was there just to chill and hang. So instead of hitting up bars and bbq the focus of this trip became exploration and art.
If you ever find yourself in Austin these are some places you must hit up. In no particular order.
- The Contemporary Austin (Downtown location)
- Torchy's Taco for some of the best tacos
- Allens Boots if you're into getting a pair of cowboy boots.
- Uncommon Projects to see a collection of just cool stuff.
- Wonderland Austin for good music and a drink in the evening.
- Liberty for more drinks and food after Wonderland.
- Taco-Mex for some of the cheapest, best breakfast tacos.
- La Barbecue for some of the best BBQ you've had out of a truck or fine restaurant.
- Tears of Joy Hot Sauce Shop I always pop in here and grab something, great store.
- South Congress just to chill.
- The Driskill for a nice Drink.
- Kimber Modern is a great little boutique hotel if you are looking for a sleek place to stay.
- Franks Restaurant for a hot dog.
We started this particular trip off at the Contemporary in Austin which has two locations, one right downtown and the other a bit outside of the city with sculptures and installations on a large outdoor property.
This was pretty great. At the downtown location they had an installation by Do Ho Suh. It was a replica of the house he grew up in made with wires and fabric.